Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Snausages


The pictures arrived early Monday morning. Mark and I snuck down to my office so we could view the pictures on a full screen. They were incredible and beautiful and the first thing that came to mind was the word “snausages”. You have to remember I am a writer first, then potential dog owner. Snausages were the original dog snack made popular in a commercial from the 1980’s. I don’t recall what type of dog was in the commercial, but we all can call out accordingly, snausages as if it were yesterday. Upon viewing the pups, only hours old the eh picture sent to us from Debbie, it was clear no other word could describe the elongated shape snuggled up against its mother’s teats. Yes, snausages, I was now falling for a puppy that resembled a dog snack. And if that wasn’t enough, probably more closely resembled the peanut butter and apple version of the snack as well.

I could hardly contain my excitement and looked at the pictures many times through the course of the day. The pups were listed from left to right as two girls, two boys, one girl, two boys. I don’t know anything about the birth order of dogs but one must presume that it is similar to people. I was / am a middle child. I have all sorts of complexes from this, just ask my siblings, they be more than happy share how often I waxed poetic or not so poetically about the middle child often being overlooked. Of course, they in turn each exhibit plenty of their own birth order characteristics and if Jeanne isn’t the epitome of youngest child, then all stats on birth order should be thrown out. You know what I’m saying Jeanne Marie. Of course, my grandmother also told my mother that Jeanne would be a blessing to her in her old age, and this has proved to be true. They do have the most heart.

So, there I was, looking over the pups, first identifying the boys. Then keeping in mind each of my siblings and other large families I know, ruling out the first born. We have a bevy of first borns in this household. Mark, Cheryl. Then in my family, Davis. And while Shannon and Kate don’t apply for first borns, they are type A personalibities. And I borderline on the A/B scale. I do not want first boy born. That settled that.

What about the baby, the runt. They say you don’t want to buy the runt of the litter, perhaps that pup will have more health problems than the rest. This suits me fine, as I compare the runt to Aunt Jeanne, or better yet, accept the fact that we also have two youngest children in the family, this is how it goes in blended families. Davis is not only type A, but was also doted on enough to be thrown into this category of youngest, while also now occupying the official spot of youngest in all the kids. Kaitlyn served 12 years as youngest child in her family, and again, despite her type A manners, she definitely does not want to easily let go of that status.

No, I am looking for an independent type. When I consider how dogs resemble their owners, I think of Aunt Jeanne and her fluffers – Biney and Sugar. OK, who names their dogs Sugar and calls them fluffers. Only Aunt Jeanne.

Or Beth and David, with three dogs total. Three large golden retrievers. They too resemble Beth and David. They like to do things in a large manner.

I want a dog who is cool, calm and collected. Somewhat independent. Faithful, Loyal. These are words that can only describe a middle child, er, I mean, dog.

By the time I am able to select one of these pups that resemble snausages, I may or may not know which one is the middle pup, but for sure, he will know me.

No comments: