Monday, February 16, 2009

Dog Dreams

I am not only seeing dogs up and down the street. But now, they are appearing in my dreams. Mainly my dreams are about water and high school. In the water dreams, I am usually, surprise, drowning. I wake up feverish, overwhelmed and under rested. There is no need to get out the Dream Dictionary, as I completely understand that if I weren’t under the water, I would be under the bus. My high school dreams occur when I am knee deep in learning, a new technology, or a new relationship. The dreams involve lost locker combinations and sitting in Vice Principal Bob Boynton’s office, being reprimanded for painting the bus barn.

But two nights ago, I dreamt I was at a house party. Plenty of humans around to keep me occupied. But on this night, behind a large oak door, there was a shuffling of feet, or rather of paws.

I crept behind, slowly walking around it, to see a Cavalier king Charles puppy cowering in the corner. He was older than some of the pics of my puppy that I have seen lately, but a CKC nonetheless. I put my hand out to him ( I presume it to be a him, but I could be projecting this as well.) He slowly started towards me, then leapt up into my arms.

In that instant, mid-air, he changed over from a king charles to some variation on a poodle. A tan poodle, one that more closely resembled various cartoon dogs over the years, than any real dog I had ever known.

So, now I am dumbfounded, at a party where I know no one, with a dog in my arms that is not the dog I am yearning for. Dogs in Dreams dictionary states this: “Dogs are territorial so look for some issue in your life involving control of territory. Dogs can symbolize good friends and devoted family. In a negative sense dogs may link to stale ideas which just follow the pack and have no imagination.”

So this dream came after Valentine’s Day, an evening out with my husband to celebrate what seems like a culmination of two year’s hard work of blending, mixing and turning upside down. So maybe I have lost control of my household of the two of us, given it over completely to a family unit of six and not two. The other explanation is that I have lost control of this family by agreeing to get a dog, period. They scream, as if the latest heartthrob has just entered the home whenever the breeder sends new pictures. They talk of job assignments, and how the first one up has to let the dog out. The first one always being Davis. And the second one up has to feed the dog. Usually Kaitlyn. And the last one up always get the least palatable job, as scooper. Shannon, the sleeper, has not heard these conjectures yet, but no doubt those notions will only last as long as the ice cream in the freezer.

So that sums up the control and the devotion issue. But what about the in negative sense, stale ideas which follow the pack and have no imagination. This one I refute on the basis of my dreams where upon the king charles turned to poodle mid air before landing in my arms.

Perhaps the other negative sense that the authors might have meant, is a reference to the fact that Pinot Noir makes a great pairing with salmon. Pinot Noir is also an acceptable accompaniment to White Castle Sliders. But salmon and White Castle, paired together, will always produce a negative outcome.

No comments: