Monday, March 16, 2009

A Stroke of Fate - See Video at End of Blog

We met Debbie, the breeder/mom/entrepreneur at her home. But first we met Holly, a rather plump CKC mom, who had given birth to a litter of seven only weeks before. And then we met the litter, as they scampered about in a laundry room like space, resembling ants building their hill, busy, but without the work that ants do!

Debbie had previously sent me pictures of the three available males. The picture took me off guard, when I realized I actually had to pick one of those three and not all three. The dog to the left was lifting his head up and over the others, the middle dog was rather focused on the camera, and the dog to the right, again looking off. Mark implied I would pick the middle one, just because, I am in the middle of my sibling too. I told him he was crazy. That hardly seemed to right, to pick out a dog that would have all the same issues as me! So, I tried hard to concentrate on the pictures of the other two, all but ignoring the one in the middle. So as not to accidentally channel him when I arrived at the breeders later.

When Debbie brought all three boys out, I felt like the dating game had begun. Bachelor number one – come over here and let me see you. Bachelor number one is the runt, nicknamed Tiny Tim, I would find out later, only because the breeder did not want to influence us with names before hand. But Bachelor number one seemed to be drawn to my father, or more so, my father was drawn to him. Later, Debbie would say, “Your dad looked so peaceful holding that dog.” In good conscious, I could not pick the runt. I was told specifically, by my husband, not to pick the runt. Perhaps some other time.

Bachelor Number two – come here boy. Bachelor number two carried a birthmark (some have noted Cindy Crawford, but I like to think of it as a dimple. It is a small brush stroke of fur that graces his lower left chin. The light brown patch appears as if his Maker said, “Hey wait a minute, I forgot something special.” He wanted to play. He rolled around at my feet, let me left him up and hold him, and when put down, was assertive in his play with the others.

Bachelor number three – Come here boy. Bachelor number three did not come here. Though the breeder thought he was the more assertive one, temperament wise. He and I tended to stay away from each other. So I let him go.

So it was now down to one. Bachleor Number Two. And as pulled out my cell phone to take a few more pictures, other than those from my camera, I noticed in the picture that the puppy in the middle, was indeed the one with the birthmark. So, I began calling out Enzo to Bachelor number two. He was not quick to come right away. I was naïve to believe otherwise! But he and I developed a nervous excitement towards each other, just like dating. In the same way Mark and I began our dating process, realizing this was it for each of us, but not wanting to make the commitment right away. Ok, I should only speak for my commit-aphobic self. I won’t even buy a car outright. I want to lease it, because I can’t commit to that singular car model, color and styling for a lifetime.

We had only minutes left and the puppies were each in turn beginning to head back to their litter box for a late afternoon nap. I was tired too. I had driven four hours that morning, picked up my parents, and driven another 1.5 hours to the breeder. I wasn’t even sure at that time if I had a clear enough head to be making this choice. Everyone kept telling me, the dog will pick me. Hell, even I kept telling that to myself. But it wasn’t happening, and being the sign person that I am. I had not been given any signals that were blatant hit me over the head types.

One last picture, I proclaimed to the breeder, and then we’ll get out of your way, I tell her. So, I walk into the laundry room, seven puppies plopped down, one over top of the other. And quietly, I pull out my camera.

One lone dog lifts his head, wakes the others while making his way out of the puppy pile, and comes up to the side of the box. I have to crouch down below to box line see that his chin has that same brush mark on it, that same distinction that marked “my” Enzo only minutes before. And I begin to call out, Enzo.

And he keeps jumping up at the edge of the box. In seconds, I am filming all this, he is whimpering, as if saying, “Take me with you now.” Only I can’t. He needs more time with his mother, his breeder and the vet before I can commit to taking this precious life and merging him with mine.

No comments: